Monday, October 6, 2014

Buddha Machine

Some people cannot deal with repetitive sounds.  Drives them up the nearest wall, bonkers I tells ya.  I know a few who seek these sounds out with a fury usually reserved for household pests or political campaigns.

I don't mind them at all.

In fact at times I search them out.

Occasionally I find one that is wonderful.

Case in point, the Buddha Machine (available in the App store) is an ambient noise generator with different configurations you can play with to create looping repetitive musical background noise.  The reason why I find this so wonderful is the fact that I can get some really trippy dreams from listening to this during sleep.

From what I've read this happens because your brain starts to wander with these sort of noises.  White noise along with some other sensory deprivation has been shown to be able to create hallucinations quite reliably.  Once you've cancelled these other senses the brain just gets... bored?  It goes and starts chasing rabbits down holes if you will.  Sleep already is a form of sensory deprivation so it is logical that I can add other elements to get some vivid dreams.

I think the Buddha Machine works for me so well in this regard because you can alter the "texture" of the sound produced.  Looping guitar or piano combined with clicks or whooshes vs. wind or sea and hums. Experimenting with the different combinations and volumes can provide a vastly different experience for every listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment