Wednesday, July 9, 2014

BAGPIPES.

To anyone that knows me there is no surprise when I say that I love the bagpipe.  It is a cultural thing, a family thing.  They have been present for the happier and the sadder times in my life.  My grandpa on my mom's side played them, my uncle, a cousin (two or three in a pipe band at any given time, just not all on the 'pipes) a dozen friends of the family.  Long story short, they've always been there.

It pleases me when I hear them pop up in popular media like movies or tv but it usually is just a few seconds of pipes before whatever bass riff or dance music they had resumes.  One of the worst offenders I've found is Cloud Age Symphony (the opening tune to Last Exile)


Warning, lack of pipes.

To me it is akin to someone opening a chest containing a pile of beautiful raspberries and only pulling one out to give to you and just before they do hand it over, they squish it a little.  This is nothing against Last Exile, mind.  I rather enjoyed the show and art direction.  Just that opening bothers me.  It is not consistent with the tone of the show and it makes me wonder why they even bothered with the five seconds of bagpipe in the first place.

Then there is the opening that stays perfectly in line with a show.

Warning, laughing cartoon people.
Creepy and weird, huh?  That's Paranoia Agent to a T.  Not for everyone, certainly but nevertheless an interesting show that had some serious thought put to it.  From the theme and opening crawl to the end credits and everything in between.

Bit of a tangent but the point is kind of there.  Don't start of with something and go off to left field without having or making a reason.  It is certainly something that I need to be cognizant of in my writing and art as I tend to start with one path and end up going through the brambles to another.

Thoughts I need to keep in place for future projects:
1. I need to keep a story diary. A pulped paper hard copy for everything.
2. Everything has a reason in a good story, but not required in art.
3.Keep the theme steady.  Don't be bogus bagpipes.
4. Bogus Bagpipes sounds like a 1950's superhero catchphrase. Like if Banshee was made by DC two decades earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment