Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Rosedales

Alternate title could be "How the hell do I keep finding neat bands after they've stopped".

I seriously have a talent for finding bands that have a unique flavor years after they've halted the majority of their creative output.  In the case of The Rosedales, they haven't updated their band page in a year or so, their last album was released in 2009 and their social media presence is next to nothing.  But I've latched onto their albums on Spotify and have loved them.  I've been trying to analyse why and the best I can come up with is broken down into a couple of different categories.

1. Subject matter.
The Rosedales are a horror pop/punk style group similar to Koffin Kats, The Creepshow or Bloodsucking Zombies From Outer Space.  Ergo the lyrics are packed with spooky imagery along with the song titles.  Never Coming Home, Murder of Crows, Frozen Ghost etc.

2. A different sound from the genre.
Instead of the harsher sounds that permeates the genre, The Rosedales sounds a bit more... I hesitate to say softer.  More atmospheric?  It allows for a different mood to form and produces some very sing-a-long-able tunes.  To describe it I can only think about some of the alternative pop that came from the 80's.  Less Synth, more vocalization.

I was listening to one of their songs the other day, So Ordinary from their 2003 album Raise Your Spirits and I realized that this song is I am Legend.

"I came to the other day, man my eyes were dark and grey So I cried up to the sky, whoa Then I wandered around this town not another soul around I'm the last man on earth


Life seems so ordinary, without you mine feels so scary I feel so dead and buried, without you I feel so ordinary now So ordinary now


Three years have gone by, every night I hear the cries All those mutants left behind, whoa Could things get any worse, now I'm driving in a hearse They only come out at night

Life seems so ordinary, without you mine feels so scary I feel so dead and buried, without you I feel so ordinary now"

If you are unfamiliar with the story thanks to the Will Smith movie from a few years back, the lyrics above is pretty much the first half.  However I don't recall if in the book Robert Neville drove in a hearse.  I think that is lifted from the pretty great The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price.  Come to think of it the whole song probably is an homage to the movie, what with that last man on earth lyric.

In short, give them a listen.  I enjoy them, if more people rediscover them then maybe we will get another album.

No comments:

Post a Comment