Friday, July 11, 2014

Utah Trivia.



Well, in those days Mars was a dreary, uninhabitable wasteland, much like Utah. But unlike Utah, Mars was eventually made liveable when the university was founded in 2636.

I have a love/hate relationship with my state.

It's true.  There are things about Utah that I absolutely love and there are things that make me wish I could live on Mars, far far away from the crappola that happens in our little/not so little state.  The good things include some ridiculously good hospitals and research institutes, a thriving geek/art/music community.  A lot of very kind neighbors/ random folks.  The bad things are people who put their ideals of their religion ahead of the actual teaching of said religion, a general intolerance in some circles of "different" individuals.  Etc.  Every state has their problems but outside of New Jersey few have as many jokes made about them.

Presented here are some facts of my home state that are cool or frustrating... or both.

1.Utah's 65% or so comprised of Federal land.  IE we have a lot of really big national parks, forests, monuments and military facilities.  Quite simply you can get lost and die in a million acre forest just two hours outside of our major metropolitan areas.

2. We are home to Pando, The Trembling Giant. Quite possibly the largest organism (due to weight) on the planet.  It is a bloody great tree y'all.

3. Several land speed records were set at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  An area that is exactly what the name describes.  An absolutely massive bed of salt that in the summer is hard packed and really good for going very fast upon.  I've been out there after a great spring storm and the water stretched for miles all around, perfectly still and flat.  Wonderful.

I won't take up the time to grump about the things that upset me.  That only gives them power.  This weekend I am going to the Payson Scottish Festival and I am going to have a fine time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment