Thursday, August 7, 2014

Where I live.

Utah is a place that, sometimes rightly so, is the butt of many jokes.  The Simpsons where Bart challenges Millhouse, "Race you to Utah".  Broken Arrow where they boast about if they ever go to war with Utah.  Yadda yadda yadda.  Point is Utah gets more pokes than say.... Montana or Idaho.  That being said there are some very cool things here that I love.

Did you ever see the TV movie of The Stand?  Most of what wasn't shot in Vegas was done here.  The first public meeting that they hold in "Bolder" in the third episode is the Union Pacific building.  An absolutely stunning building that is now part of "The Gateway", a mall in the center of the city that hosts our St Patrick's Day parade.  The airbase that Trash wrecks is actually the Wendover Airfield close to the Salt Flats.

Remember The Sandlot?  The actual sandlot is located a couple of blocks from my gramma's house.  Down south a ways is the pool and park where they filmed the carnival and pool scene, you know the one.  My dad was even cut from the movie.  True story.

The iconic dog chase scene, where Benny outruns Herc causing all kinds of mayhem, well I know for a fact that they filmed much more than they ended up using.  It happens in movies, of course it does but I am sad that me da was cut from this one.  Anyhow, my dad in his prime was one of the most recognizable faces in the Western Scottish Pipe Band Association.  A Drum Major.  He and the band he was working with at the time, I believe it was the Salt Lake Scotts were hired to be extras during filming on that scene.  The dog and Benny were to run through them and they were all to fall or scatter or whatever.  Less than five seconds of screen time really.  One of the drummers damaged his instrument during the filming, dented it all up.

All the while I'm sitting there under a tree, watching all these people make a big fuss over lights and cameras.  I petted a big dog and played with some kids.  Every so often the dog would be moved to go to the cameras and then come back.  Once the dog came back a little scuffed up.  Apparently the dog trainer tumbled and so the dog thought to do the same.  I petted him and helped give him water.  I had no idea that the kids I played with or the dog I sat with under the tree were the stars of the movie.  All I knew at the time was my dad was doing a job with his band and it would help us go to Disneyland.

It kind of salts my butter though.  They filmed the cake part of that scene the same day.  That made it in but me da didn't.

I've gotten off on a tangent so I guess I will end here.  I'll talk more on Utah later.

No comments:

Post a Comment