Friday, June 13, 2014

Its still Friday where I am.

At least at the time I've started this post anyway, the day is still Friday.
THIS MEANS IT IS TIME FOR A FACT, GIRD THY LOINS.

I have in my possession a piece of what is called Uranium Glass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass
It is approximately the size of a medium dog skull and a rather striking green.  If you take the time to click on the link above you can see several examples of this sort of glass and one of the more interesting things about this sort of material is the way it just glows under a blacklight.  Its something like Kryptonite on steroids, all green and glowy.  And I can say that yes, it is true that with an adequately sensitive Geiger-Counter you can pick up the radiation this emits.  However it is such a small amount that you are in absolutely no danger from it.  You are probably more likely to get problems from the blacklight than the ominously named Uranium Glass.

That is less of a "Huh" sort of fact and more of a "I have something I think is neat" sort of fact.
...
..
.
I never said they would be good ones.

Anyway, I also have an update to my Martian:












It's starting to look right cute, isn't it?  I will say though, I am dreading all the fiddly little brain lines. When my wife (The Wife) and I were first married and she still finishing school I was recruited to help her with the art on a project involving the brain.  There were no less than 70 different drawings of gestures and about a dozen or so brains.  I learned something about myself over the course of that project.  I cannae draw brains for poop.  This was five years ago, mind.  In that time I've gotten more confident with what I can do and I care less about what I can't.  Nevertheless, I ain't looking forward to that brain.

Additional fact:
Just about thirty or forty minutes to the west is the Bonneville Salt Flats and I-80, stretching off to Wendover.  One of the larger straightaways in this part of the country and home to more drowsy driving fatalities than you'd imagine.  Anyway, along the length of this road people have laid out messages in stones.  RIP, Jesus Saves etc.  Hundreds of them, maybe thousands spread over miles and miles.  In time, they sink into the salt, the mud.  Over the years maybe, untold ages from now an archaeologist or a geologist will come along and find all of these messages lining an old asphalt strip buried under a megacity or a forest.  They will get a glimpse of our lives.  And maybe, just maybe some of those memorialized with their names laid out in stone will live on again in someones memory.
Isn't that nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment