Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Phenomenauts. Escape Velocity

I think it was around 2006 or 05 that I was blasted into this bands orbit.  You see I had gone to see the Aquabats, as you do, and the opening act was The Phenomenauts.  It was fun, punky music that was a little rough and undeniably geeky.  Songs with titles like "Welcome Back" and the accompanying "Space Girl" (A Simpsons quote that I confirmed with the Robot at another show.) in addition to the undeniable "Earth Is The Best" prime you for a space themed post punk ride.  I've seen them only twice, but they were great shows.  The other time I saw them I was introduced to The Epoxies, but that is a whole other post.

Well, they have come out with a new album. "Escape Velocity".  I haven't given it enough plays to make a strong opinion, but initial impressions indicate impressive increases in album structure and themes.  IE, they have grown up a little.  The first song on the album is an indicator of that, "I  don't care whether Earth is the best (I love it anyway)" and it grows from there.  Previous albums had one major voice but this one seems to have more reliance on other voices helping to fill in and flesh out the songs.  This impression is deepened by "Theme for Oakland" which features The Bay Area Cadet Chorus.  Admittedly I have no idea who that is, without doing the bare minimum of googling it I assume it is probably some fans they've gathered. I've only been able to catch this album on Spotify and they don't support liner notes and I am Lazy.... :( HOWEVER, it gives additional voices to the bands message and that message seems to be, together we can make it, and thrive, but only together.

And then they sing about the "Broken Robot Jerk".  Calm down, it's a dance.

I am going to be putting this into my regular rotation and I think I will be buying this as soon as I can afford it.  They are good tunes.  There is no cussing so its good for when the Boy, Wife and eventual Girl are in the car with Dad and they have no means of escape.

The album also has a guest appearance by Kepi Ghoulie of the Groovy Ghoulies on "When Greed Nearly Destroyed the World".  Always good to hear from Kepi.  Additionally there is a redo of a song from their 2003 album "Rockets and Robots", "10,000 Light Years".  It further illustrates that the band has grown in their abilities and matured.  The earlier version's tone can be best described as an album filler of a do-wop song.  The new version is peppier, tighter and, while still somewhat structured like the earlier one, integrates more rock and roll elements making for a much more enjoyable tune.

The Phenomenauts have come a long way in a short time.  They've provided great songs, a unique voice and I hope they keep making music for a long time to come.  Give "Escape Velocity" a listen.  If you don't like it, that's okay.  I just won't like you as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment