Monday, June 16, 2014

What a weekend.

Suffice to say, this weekend didn't go as hoped.  Saturday was supposed to be the Scottish Festival.  We didn't go.  There were good reasons, mind.  But I miss it.  At least Payson's festival is coming up soon, and it has the added bonus of being free.

Father's day didn't go like I hoped either.  It was sweet, getting a card and necklace from my son (The Boy) but I wasn't able to finish anything for my father.  I don't know sometimes how to tell him that I love him and appreciate him.  That I respect him and that I value his opinion and experiences.  I suppose that I may never have words that are adequate to describe that sort of thing.  I tell him the best I can, but sometimes I fear it is never quite the message I want to get over.  As I get older and as I get more comfortable with being a parent myself I appreciate what mine had to go through to get me where I am.  I always want to show them that I appreciate it.  I tell them I love them, I share what I can and I hope that it is enough to get across how much I care.

The Wife and I have been going to a birthing class in preparation for the coming child (The Girl) and I had to bite my tongue a couple of times to keep from saying something I probably shouldn't. (intoning that ladies could use their breast milk to be able to write their names in the snow, FINALLY.)  It ended with a relaxation exercise that I am sure works well for some people but it had me bemused.  It tried to associate colors with emotions, a not uncommon thing to do, and the colors/moods it was choosing was against every sort of color theory this side of the pacific. So I had to bite my tongue again, trying to not make The Wife laugh and disturb all the pregnant people and soon to be daddies.

In short, I could have made a bigger fool of myself than I usually do.  I clearly have a ways to go on being a Dad.  Remember, the point is to embarrass your kids, not yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, but in embarrasing ourselves in public, that is the true method of embarrasing our children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. I guess I need to grow into this a bit more.

    ReplyDelete