Wednesday, June 11, 2014

On Work

I don't like to talk about work.  Most of the time anyway.  It is something that I feel that is best kept in the moment, stress at the time and leave it behind as you go for the day.  That is obviously hard as most people find connections with shared experiences like work gripes.  'Oh so and so is such a drama queen', 'screw it, we'll go ahead and deal with blah blah later.'  Similar struggles dealt with a million ways by millions of people every day.  Think about it this way, we all gripe about work from time to time and then we find friends with people who tend to gripe in a similar way to us.  We all find our flag and we fly it.

I don't like doing that.  I'd rather talk about something more positive and undoubtedly work can share in that conversation but more often than not I will bring up something esoteric, something different and what I consider wonderful to try and share that with friends and co workers.  Case in point, Me wife and I have recently been watching QI, a delightfully different and undoubtedly smart show from the UK hosted by Stephen Fry.  The wife and I are already about as enchanted with Mr. Fry as a wordsmith.  He is absolutely passionate about language and how it grows and evolves.  It doesn't hurt that he has a melodious voice and he delights in sharing interesting facts.

This episode that we watched tonight was about G-Animals, Gerbils, Gulls and Giraffes and there was something asked about what you can do with a Goose.  One of the panelists talked about wiping your bum with one.  Absurd, right?  Well.....

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Gargantua/Chapter_XIII

The key quote here:

"Afterwards I wiped my tail with a hen, with a cock, with a pullet, with a calf's skin, with a hare, with a pigeon, with a cormorant, with an attorney's bag, with a montero, with a coif, with a falconer's lure. But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest of the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains. And think not that the felicity of the heroes and demigods in the Elysian fields consisteth either in their asphodel, ambrosia, or nectar, as our old women here used to say; but in this, according to my judgment, that they wipe their tails with the neck of a goose, holding her head betwixt their legs, and such is the opinion of Master John of Scotland, alias Scotus."

This is what I will share at work tomorrow.  I feel talking about bum wiping via Goose is a better use of my idle chatter time over just complaining about what I can't change.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment